Pain throws your heart to the ground....love turns the whole thing around. No, it won't all go the way it should, but I know the heart of life is good. - John Mayer

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

the end was bittersweet...or maybe just bitter.

For a year now, I have been anticipating July 15, 2011. For many others as well, the last movie of the Harry Potter series marked the end of their favorite childhood movies. So needless to say, I was ecstatic when last night finally arrived and Jacob and I were off to the midnight showing of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2.

So for those who probably think I'm a big nerd and possibly crazy for loving these fictional but amazing books and knowing so much about them, you may want to stop reading this now. In about 5 seconds, you will more than likely get bored. And if you're not bored, you most definitely won't be my friend anymore because you will realize just how deep of a dork I truly am.

I decided to write this blog post about my reaction to the last movie, which was similar to Jacob's reaction as well. One of the first things we realized when we first started dating was how much we both loved the HP books and how much we knew about them. What can I say, we are made for each other. Ha! Anyways... this blog post is also in my opinion and some may have contradicting opinions, so feel free to share. This blog post is also for those (like me) who have read the books more than once and know many intricate details which make the books what they are. No offense to those who only watch the movies (because my best friends do and I love them) but I believe they are truly missing out!

Soooo... on to my post. I realize that the movies are always going to be different from the book of course, but for this finale, I was seriously expecting David Yates to really step it up and line up with the book. One of the first things Jacob and I noticed was the opening scene in Gringotts (one of my favorite scenes). In the book, Harry and Griphook are under the invisibility cloak. Hermione is poly-juiced as Bellatrix (who is an amazing actress-by the way) and Ron is jinxed to where his facial features are different. Mr. Ollivander had already proven that the two wands Harry and Hermione had taken from Malfoy Manor did in fact, belong to  Bellatrix LeStrange and Draco Malfoy. So when "Bellatrix" a.k.a. Hermione, travels to Gringotts to visit her vault, the goblins are aware of a possible impostor and ask for her wand. In the book, she sneers at the goblins for even asking for her wand but presents her wand to the goblins. But in the movie, she simply used the "imperius" curse to make the goblin forget that he had asked for her wand. Why not just present the wand, Mr. Yates? Another minor detail was the presence of the Death Eater, Travers, but that doesn't really matter.

Another scene that really got to me was when Harry, Ron, and Hermione disapparated to Hogsmeade in order to get to the secret passageway to Hogwarts. This scene was totally messed up to me! Okay, so in the book, as soon as they have disapparated there (under the invisibility cloak), they immediately set off the Cauterwaling Charm that sounds like Voldemort's voice shrieking. The Death Eaters rush to the scene, nearly running right into Harry, Ron, and Hermione. The D.E. summon the dementors to suck the happiness out of them and Harry has to cast his patronus, which is a stag. The D.E. immediately recognize Harry and chase after the three. They run through the alley underneath the cloak when a hooded figure (Aberforth Dumbledore) rushes them inside to safety. Aberforth argues with the D.E. and says he let his cat out, which set off the Cauterwailing Charm and then cast his patronus, which is a goat, to send off the dementors. The movie only portrays a portion of this, with the 3 landing in Hogsmeade, setting off the charm, and fleeing to Aberforth's for safety.

Okay people, the lost diadem of Ravenclaw was NOT sitting in a BOX in the room of requirements. When we saw this, we were like whaaaat? The diadem is supposed to be sitting on a statue with a wig on it, which Harry remembers from the Half Blood Prince when he hid the potions book. And what is up with casting Zabini instead of Crabbe? Malfoy is supposed to appear in the room of requirements with his two side kicks from day one, but instead, they decide to throw our Crabbe and replace him with a Slytherin who is a nobody. Nice.

The actual Battle of Hogwarts was such a disappointment in general. This may not be in any particular order, but here are some of the things that stuck out to me. The main fight between HP & Voldy was supposed to take place in the great hall with everyone surrounded......the book was written like that and to me, it just seems more climatic in general with everyone watching. The movie set the fight outside with the two alone. Craziness, I know. Also, as HP journeyed to meet Voldemort in the Forbidden Forest under his invisibility cloak (which was not also in the movie-the cloak part), he told Neville on the way to kill Nagini when he got the chance. In the movie, Hermione, Ron, and Neville were all after the snake...while HP and V were scuffling and fighting....seriously, yeah I know. And what in the blue moon was up with HP and V jumping off the ledge and flying through the air wrestling each other? It was supposed to be a straight up duel in the great hall with V and HP circling each other and Harry revealing that Draco Malfoy was in fact, the true master of the elder wand. Which was revealed by Harry to Ron and Hermione at the end of the movie..which doesn't make sense...I guess Voldy died never knowing who the true master was. And the BEST part they screwed up? Harry Potter defeats Voldemort, the most evil wizard ever, and walks back in to Hogwarts so calmly....glancing around and smiling while the wounded and survivors of the battle give half-hearted smiles. SERIOUSLY....in the book, the people surrounding Harry after the death of Voldemort yelled, screamed, cried...all in triumph for the death of the evil Voldy! Harry was hugged and lifted up and it was such a celebration! Why in the world would they skip out on that? I am getting grumpier and grumpier typing this. Maybe I'll finish it later... maybe not. But I know one thing, I have now revealed just how dorkly I am to everyone. C-ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment